a time to be humbled

Ever get just plain humbled by life?  

For the past 2 weeks, we had our last official ARRIBA class: Personal Evangelism.  But here's the catch- it was ALL in Spanish.  All the lectures, notes, nightly homework, tests, quizzes... all in Spanish.  During the first couple days, I felt like I was barely keeping my head above water while trying to understand all that the professor was saying.  Yup, I felt like a little kid again :)

And it just got better because in the afternoons, we went out to the parks and avenues of Chaclacayo, Chosica, and Ñaña to share the Gospel with people (in Spanish of course ;).  The first day, I tripped over my words so much I couldn't even understand myself (let alone the poor señora who was listening to me).  I was so humbled.  Here I am, a Bible college graduate and I can't even share my own faith... 

But that's exactly where God wants us.  The moments when we feel like we can't do anything is when He can work the most.  We can't do it, without Him.

It was so encouraging to see how each one of the members of our team was able to share his or her testimony and the Gospel with so many people over the 2 weeks!  God was at work in life of one lady who placed her faith and trust in Jesus as her Savior!  After years and years of witnessing by the missionary and his wife, this lady began her spiritual walk with Christ.  

About half-way through our class,  I realized that (to my shame) this was the most I had ever shared my faith in my life.  I've shared the Gospel on mission's trips, in Sunday School classes, Bible School, and camps but I had never shared my faith or the Gospel so many times in a week.  And all this, in a different language?  I was humbled all over again.  With the way Jesus has changed my life, why wouldn't I want to share?

 "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant,  being born in the likeness of men.  And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus  every knee should bow,  in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."  (Philippians 2:5-11)

Comments

  1. Alyssa, Life has put me in my place all over again since graduation! I love that question about how it humbles us. There is so much I have yet to learn about interacting with the world around me for Christ's glory. I'm so grateful that I don't stop learning once I stop sitting in classes. ;-) Love you, miss you, and praying for you! (Every time I hear something about flowerama I think of you, lol)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts