Why I'm loving Cusco

¿Sabes que?  I'm loving Cusco (well, to be specific, Urubamba and Arrin).  And here's why :)

1.  I get to spend my school days in a one-room school house with 9 students from the surrounding towns.  At first, I thought I would NEVER be able to learn their names (and keep them straight)!  But as I learned with student teaching, when you get to know the students and understand their life's story, you won't forget their names :)   God has worked in incredible ways in the lives of these students!  One little boy came to school not knowing nearly any Spanish, just Quechua.  His Spanish has drastically improved and he has a great ear for picking up English as well :)

2.  After time at school, I go home and work with the kids of the missionary family that I'm staying with.  (but this time, I'm teaching/helping in English ;)  I love dusting off my Algebra skills and my newly discovered love of teaching science!  And of course, all the fun grading and test prep :)

3.  I'm also loving being involved in the church here!  I play piano for most services (and am preparing to accompany for the Christmas program in a few weeks :).  I missed playing piano so much during my first couple months here, and I think I'm making up for it all!  I love it! (and I know my mom is so glad that I'm getting to use all the great years of lessons ;)  My first Sunday here, I attended the Quechua Sunday School class.  It was incredible to just sit and listen to a group of people read the Bible (in their own language, since it was just recently published!) and talk to the same amazing God.  This past Sunday, I taught the 2-3 year old Sunday School class (Peruvian style, where I showed up and the teacher handed me the lesson to teach!). 

4.  Finally, I'm learning a whole new vocabulary.  I'm learning how very important Spanish commands are (especially in a school setting :).  I spend my mornings teaching math at school and writing down all my new vocabulary that they teach me as I teach them new concepts :)  It's a new experience for me as a teacher, but it's a great experience!

These past 2 weeks have gone by way too fast...  I can't believe it!  (and I feel like it's just going to keep getting faster :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts